Maintaining a stable level of power quality in the distribution network is a growing challenge due to increased use of power electronics converters in commercial and industrial sectors.
Power quality deterioration is manifested in increased losses, poor utilization of distribution systems, mal-operation of sensitive equipment and disturbances to nearby consumers.
Since 30 years EEI has paid particular attention to power quality, for that reason has developed a series of solutions for the reduction of current harmonics and for reactive power compensation to the grid.
MAIN ISUESS CONCERN POWER QUALITY:
- Oversizing of power cables, transformers and generators to support higher currents due to reactive energy
- Electrical penalty bills due to kVAR injected to the grid
- Voltage harmonic distortion due to an unbalanced loads
- Energy loss and overheating
- Harmonic resonances that cause an instability of power distribution system
- Equipment failure such as breakers tripping, fuses blowing or malfunctions due to harmonics
- Communication interference